Ulpan Aviv logo

Ulpan Aviv logo
Ulpan

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Autumn

Did you think that there was no autumn in Israel? Or maybe you thought that it only begins in December? Well, we have news for you: we have autumn and it's already here!
On my way to the ulpan, I drove on the windy road between the Jerusalem mountains and I was surprised to see the "Khatzav" plant, an Israeli plant which only blooms in the autumn, amongst the dry plants which cover the land at the end of the summer. But the "Khatzav" is not alone. With the "Khatzav" comes the cool winds and clouds.
The animals also realize that autumn has arrived and it is the time to collect food and find shelter from the rain. The ants are scurrying from place to place, collecting flecks of food and plant seeds that remain from the hot summer. The snail, a winter animal, begins to awaken from its summer hibernation.
And also the birds are already here. Approximately half a million storks fly during Autumn in the skies of Israel. The stork leaves cold Europe in time for the beginning of Autumn and flies to the hot countries of Africa (we sayלחרוף    to spend the winter). In a short time they will fly through the skies of Israel, many cranes, buzzards, pelicans and many more types of birds. To all those who are currently in Israel, this is the time to tiyul to the Achula lake in the north and to see all the birds that stop to rest and eat in the nature reservation. And to those who really are thinking about taking a tiyul, it is recommended to arrive in the morning hours but also to check first whether there is a mist/fog.
The weather is also becoming more bearable for my friends who travel far and wide in Israel. Naomi Shemer, the famous poet, wrote a lovely and simple song about this.
I have a friend by Naomi Shemer

I have a friend in Jerusalem
I have a friend in Ramat Aviv
I have friends in Rosh HaAyiin
And also in Gesher HaZiv

I am going to trek
In all the land of Israel
With my sick and my bags
In the evenings of the day
Of course I will find a place
Amongst these friends of mine.

I have a friend in Kfar Ha Horesh
And in Ashkelon and Atlit
I have a friend in Hof Machmoret
And in Afula Illit.

I am going to trek….

I have a friend also in Be'er Shva
I have a friend in Kerem Shalom
I have in Nahal and in Geva
And I even have in Sdom

No comments:

Post a Comment